Intern Vet Saves Paralyzed Dog Moments Before Euthanization

Thanks to an eagle-eyed intern at a veterinarian clinic, an Oregon family will spend many more happy days with their beloved dog.



The Fate family recently took their dog Ollie to the Dove Lewis Animal Hospital after they noticed he was ill. A few moments after they arrived, Ollie became paralyzed. A thorough search caught nothing, and the family eventually made the decision every pet owner dreads.

“They finally decided they had reached their limit, and it was time to help him pass,” said Dr. Adam Stone in an interview with KPTV. “He couldn’t stand, he couldn’t walk, he couldn’t urinate, couldn’t defecate. Anything from cancer to trauma, or a fracture of a vertebra or a spinal fracture. Any one of these could have caused similar signs.”

But none of these cases applied to Ollie. After the heartbroken family made the decision to put him down, Ollie was inside an exam room waiting to be euthanized. That’s when an intern noticed something everyone else missed.

Split-Second Rescue

There was a tick behind Ollie’s ear.

Generated by IJG JPEG Library
Generated by IJG JPEG Library

“He was in the room about to get put to sleep, and it was just pure grace that the people found something and decided to check it out further,” said Ollie’s owner, Falline Fate. “They [ticks] have a neurotoxin in their saliva that prevents nerve transition to the muscles, and that takes time to build up in the body and cause paralysis like what we saw in Ollie.”

The tick was pulled out. 10 hours later, Ollie was his fun-loving self again.

[adinserter block=”7″]

[adinserter block=”2″]